Evan & Ruth Miller House – 1937
The Colonial Revival Cape Cod style house, located at 810 Orchard Street,  was built for Evan and Ruth Miller in 1937.  The architect was Louis G. Henriksen of Racine. By 1933 he had his own company, the Certified Home Builders & Finance Company. He was billed as a “designer, contractor, and builder of dependable homes.”  The restoration of Williamsburg, Virginia in the early twentieth century by Henry Ford was a catalyst for the popularity of the Colonial revival style of architecture in America. This house incorporates decorative embellishments common to the Colonial revival style.  It has two stories and a large side-facing gable roof with two dormers, a two-toned brick veneer giving it a cottage look, fluted pilasters accenting the front door and shutters on the windows.  There is a single-story dining area that extends to the north.
 
Evan and Ruth Miller were the first owners of the property and lived in the house through 1942.  In 1940 the house was valued at $6,000 and the property taxes were $164.00. Charles and Helen Dushek were the owners from 1943-1954. Mr. Dushek was a designer for Christensen Machine Company.  In 1954, Helen became a widow. She worked as a clerk for the U. S. Selective Service. In 1955-1959 Milton and Nancy Robotka, Jr. became the owners.  He was a sales manager for Massey Harris Ferguson. 
 
In 1960, Eugene and Rose Werner became the owners, who rented the house to Delmar and Betty Hjerstedt. Delmar was an assistant manager for the John Oster Manufacturing Company (coincidently, John Oster himself lived just down the street at 928 Orchard Street). The Werners then moved into the house in 1961 and stayed through 1978.  Mr. Werner owned a business called, Werner’s Racine Laundry & Dry Cleaners. They specialized in fireproof industrial protective clothing, operated a laundry and dry- cleaning service, and produced work uniforms. Another couple, Alan and Patricia Dorris, rented the home between 1979 and 1983 from Gary and Carol Dawley.  From 1984 until 1988, the owners were Jay and Julie Luttrell. They both worked for SC Johnson & Son as market research managers.
 
From May 1988 to February 1995, Dr. Steven and Jana McLaughlin became the owners. The couple both worked at University of Wisconsin-Parkside; he was the Dean of students and she an account manager.   There is currently a scholarship at the university under Dr. Steven McLaughlin’s name and he serves on the board of the Racine Symphony Orchestra.  The current owners, Steve and Jeralyn Christensen, have owned the property since 1995. In 1997, they had a large second-story addition built onto the back of the house.  The house now has a total of 2,412 square feet with three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a fireplace.  We thank them for taking such loving care of this Colonial Revival house.
 
Like other homes in the Manree Park neighborhood, this house is one that has been home to a large number of professional, white collar, middle-class families – a characteristic that endures today.