Robert Mosely & Minerva Walker House – 1868
This two-story, cream city brick Italianate style residence was erected in 1868.   Set back from the road, the building sits on an ashlar foundation and has a rectilinear footprint.  The low-pitched hip roof and wide overhanging eaves with decorative paired brackets are typical of this style house that became popular in the expanding cities of the Midwest.  It is a fine example of the impressive rural homes that reflected the agricultural wealth of the time. This prosperous dairy farm was referred to in early newspapers as Hillcrest Farm.  The property is now comprised of three lots resulting from the subdividing of the property allowing for vehicular access.
 
Records indicate Daniel Slauson, an early Racine settler, originally claimed this land in 1839. Nelson A. Walker purchased it in 1854. He had settled in Racine County in 1835, reportedly having walked all the way from Toledo, Ohio.  He secured a claim at Ives Grove and a year later would purchase 160 acres of land in Mount Pleasant. 
 
Mr. Walker and his wife, Lucinda, had five children. Their son, Robert Mosely Walker, arrived in Racine as an infant, sailing with his mother from New York to Chicago and arriving here by stage. Robert was an early graduate of Racine College Grammar School, served in the Civil War, and returned to the family farm after the war ended.
 
At one point in time, Robert owned 200 acres of property and was reported as having a progressive spirit, erecting all the buildings himself and planting the numerous trees on the property. He was also known as an advocate for increasing the standard of public education in the district.  Robert died at the age of 83 in 1919 and is buried in Mound Cemetery. 
 
He married Minerva Secor Walker in 1866 and the couple had three children. Nelson A. was born on the family homestead and would become the third generation to run the farm.  In 1914, he married Gertrude Chamberlain and they had one child, Helen. Mortimer, the second born, became a respected attorney in the City of Racine and married Florence Bull.  Daughter Mabel would marry Stanley D. Tallman of a prominent Janesville family. After Stanley’s death, Mabel returned to Racine and at one time roomed at 936 Main Street; today referred to as The Blake House, the headquarters of Preservation Racine, Inc.
 
Lester and Hattie (Reed) LaMack purchased the property in 1937. Hattie’s ancestors were the Reed family, who owned the adjacent farmland to the east that became part of the Manree Park Subdivision. Hattie served as President of the Racine County Historical Society, and was active in the Daughters of the American Revolution. Lester was employed at both Dunmore and Modine Companies during his career. When sugar became scarce during the Great Depression, he began bee-keeping. It became so successful he eventually had to move the operation toward the county line. 
 
Three generations each of the Walker and LaMack families have owned and resided in this house. Jane Wilcox, Hattie and Lester’s granddaughter sold the property in 1997 to Tom Benson.  The current owners Dale & Suzi Zierten purchased the property in 2003 and continue to preserve and lovingly maintain this historically significant property that represents Racine’s early years.
 
The house became a designated Racine landmark in November 1975.